The setup of a OneDay health center follows these five steps:
Before we do anything, we map the healthcare 'black holes'
We where there are no nearby healthcare facilities. We talk with government health offices and other health providers to find out where every facility is within a 2 hour motorbike ride from our base.
1. Find the names and GPS co-ordinates of government and private Health facilities
2. Map all the health facilities
3. Identify healthcare 'black holes', with no health centers within a 5km radius
Next, we investigate these potential black holes, to find the locations with the biggest need, that will have the best chance of sustaining a OneDay Health Center.
1. We visit the 'black holes' which are within a 2 hour motorbike ride from our base.
2. We assess whether the population is enough to justify a OneDay health center.
3. We discuss with their community whether they need and want a OneDay Health Center,
4. We find an adequate iron roof house, and organise minor renovations (cement the floor, divide walls, doors etc.)
5. We select between 8 and 10 locations. Each OneDay Health Center costs $3000 US to fully equip, and run for at least 1 year.
Our Health Centers are fully equipped to provide comprehensive primary care, including managing common conditions, antenatal care and family planning as well as chronic conditions like high blood pressure and diabetes. Most importantly, we equip our fantastic nurses with the training and tools they need to diagnose and treat conditions with competence and confidence.
Furniture: Drug Cupboard, chairs, tables, hand washing device
Small solar unit with 3 lights, and phone charging
Smartphone for monthly reporting
50 basic tablets to treat 30 common conditions
6 IV drugs and IV fluids
Receipt books and other accounting books
Buckets, basins and other miscellaneous equipment